Thursday, July 26, 2007

This is Freedom

I have been searching for things to do on my days off from work. I decided that I should go hiking on the 100+ miles of trail in Waterville Valley. I was amazed by the beauty of the views from the short hikes I took.


That picture is from Goodrich Rock, a short hour and half hike. I began to think about the feeling I got when I ventured into the wilderness and experienced the magnificent views. I realized that this was a total state of freedom; I had no obligations to any man or state. I was free to do as I pleased with no one telling me what to do.

It reminds me of the state of nature expressed by enlightenment philosophers. I was all alone, left to my own devices. Total freedom from coercion.

Why can't we all take a walk in the woods and realize that we don't need to be telling each other what to do to lead a happy life.

No comments: