Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The Rise and Fall of Society

I just finished reading Frank Chodorov's book The Rise and Fall of Society. I have nothing but praise for this wonderful book. I recommend it to all interested in libertarian theories of the State, both new and experienced.

Chodorov had a way with language. His eloquent style makes the most mundane and convoluted topics almost elementary. The book is short - only 168 pages - but that fact masks its breadth. His clear writing combined with great fluidity allow him to fit everything into so few pages.

For Chodorov, government is created to ensure the security of a community. Production and commerce bring prosperity, and that right is protected by government. But government ceases to be a protective force when it pushes programs and reforms in the name of "society" and "justice." Chodorov reminds us, however, that society is made of individuals. The predatory State degenerates society and takes power away from the people.

Written in 1959, The Rise and Fall of Society is a classic that is just as important today as it was when it first arrived almost 50 years ago. Buy your copy today at the Mises Institute Store. I promise you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yippee! I'm so glad you read it and commented on it. this book is almost completely unknown. It came out at a time when individualist thought was on its way out. I really do agree with you that it is one of the great books in the whole history of liberty. How can we get it better known?

Tyler Stearns said...

Unfortunately, I think too many libertarians and conservatives are fine with reading the more modern commentaries on politics and culture. I enjoy such books, but we need to look to the dark times to see the more brilliant defenses of individualism and liberty.

I don't know how to get more people to read the likes of Chodorov and Garrett (probably my two favorite authors) but I do think I am doing my part. I also cannot thank the Mises Institute enough for publishing such classic works.