Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Picador and Assembly

A short article I wrote for my school newspaper, The Picador, came out yesterday. The paper comes out every other week. My article yesterday was kind of an introduction to my campaign for all the students of the school. I plan on making it a multi-part series that will highlight all of the memorable events so far in my campaign. Here is the text of the article:

By now many of you have heard that I, Tyler Stearns, am running for political office. However, it is still a mystery to most people which office I am actually running for. I have been asked if I am running for the following: Senator, Mayor, Governor, and Representative in U.S. Congress. The actual position is New Hampshire State Representative.

The seat that I am vying for is Grafton County District 4 Representative. This district covers the towns of Thornton and Woodstock. Why such a small district? Well, the New Hampshire legislature is actually one of the most representative bodies, per capita, in the entire world.

The New Hampshire House currently has 400 members. That is about one representative for every 3,000 people. The New Hampshire House is the fourth largest representative body in the entire world; it is only surpassed by the U.S. Congress and the British and Indian Parliaments.

Now, why would I want to be one of these 400 lawmakers in Concord? I think the biggest reason is because we need more young people involved in politics. Besides the abnormally high amount of legislators in the New Hampshire House, they only make $100 per year. That leads to the fact that the average age of a New Hampshire legislator is over 60 years old. Only retired and independently wealthy people can afford to take the time off to serve.

I am sure that this miniature history lesson might not have been that entertaining, but in the coming weeks I will write about what I have actually done while attempting to get myself elected.

For more quick info you can visit my site: www.VoteStearns.com.

To Be Continued…


The paper is made available at Assembly on Friday. Assembly is every week and the whole school has to come. Well the teacher that was running Assembly this week asked me to stand up and share my main issues with the whole school. It was a great opportunity to share my views. It also made many students aware of the current issues of eminent domain abuse and the Real ID Act.

I think I might be giving a more formal presentation at Assembly in the coming weeks. Maybe I will be able to share my insight on some more of the issues I believe are important.

In Libertate,
Tyler

No comments: